What you need to prepare

What you need to prepare

Things to prepare during high-school -Before turning 18

Transition into the adulthood can present challenges for all young people. It is even more challenging for some youth with disabilities. Families and schools will require unique strategies to assist the transitioning students with disabilities to achieve the maximum possible independence in working, living and participating in the community as adults.

Transition planning is a process that brings together a student and those individuals directly involved in helping the student prepare to enter a post-school environment. It should be designed to ensure that the student will be provided the necessary skills and services to make a smooth transition from school to adult life with as little interruption as possible. Here are some of the examples of to do list to prepare the life after high school.

To Do List (examples)
– Service eligibility Application to community agencies outside the school district
– Set up travel plans (e.g., taxi, buses, trains or travel assistant programs)
– Apply for disability services available in College or post secondary education
– Apply for Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR)
– Apply for services through Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD – students with developmental disabilities)
– Apply for Contact NYS Commission for the Blind (students with Blindness)
– Apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if necessary
– File Guardianship 17A Petition (If necessary, Guardian of the person. A guardian of the person can make life decisions for the ward like health care, education and welfare decisions)
– Housing plans (if necessary)
– Recreation and community life

  • More information and resources: CIDA provides a series of workshops related to transition resources.
  • Please call 718-224-8197 for upcoming transition workshops or events.
Back to Top