Housing & Shelter
NYS COVID-19 UPDATES
NYS COVID Rent Relief Program
What is COVID Rent Relief Program?
The New York State Legislature established the COVID Rent Relief Program to help households who are experiencing a loss of income during the COVID-19 crisis. This program will provide eligible households with a one-time rental subsidy that will be sent directly to the household’s landlord. Applicants will not need to repay this assistance. Households can apply for up to four months of rental assistance. The program will not cover the entire rent but will provide funding to cover a portion of the rent for low-income New Yorkers who have experienced income loss.
How to Apply?
To learn more about the program, eligibility criteria, and how to apply, visit the NYS Homes and Community Renewal website.
Additional Information and Website
Free legal advice and counsel is available for New York City residential renters. To access these services, please call 311 and ask for the “Tenant Helpline”, visit the Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants’ Information and Resources for NYC Tenants Impacted by COVID-19 webpage, or fill out their Contact Us form.
NYC Housing Assistance During COVID-19
NYC Emergency Cash Assistance (One Shot Deal)
If your work schedule was reduced as a result of the coronavirus and you are unable to pay your rent, you can apply for a Cash Assistance special grant request to get benefits for emergencies.
How to Apply?
If you have an active Cash Assistance case, visit ACCESS HRA.
More Programs and Websites
Financial Resources for Tenants
- Tenants experiencing loss of income should file for unemployment
- New York City has a list of resources and Assistance for Individuals
- AccessNYC is an online tool that households can use to screen their eligibility for many public assistance programs
- Learn about HPD’s Section 8 and Rental Subsidy Programs and NYCHA’s Section 8 Program
Legal Services of New York
Legal Services of New York has a hotline that will remain staffed for tenants who need guidance in emergency situations.
- Services of New York Hotline: Tel. 917-661-4500
Korean Community Service Assistance
Eviction and Court Proceedings
- Minkwon Center: Tel. 718-460-5600
Domestic violence victim shelter
- Korean American Family Service Center (KAFSC): Housing