2022 June News
Season of Transition
Greetings from CIDA
Dear Members, Friends, and Collaborators of CIDA,
Greetings! My name is Haewa Trakansook. I am the intake specialist at CIDA. Thank you very much for supporting CIDA by participating in our programs, introducing CIDA to those around you, and collaborating with us on the mission of making a disability a possibility.
In 2018, I walked into CIDA’s office as a mom who has a child with a disability; then, I joined CIDA as a staff member. Working at CIDA helped me grow far beyond my imagination, and it has been a life-changing experience for me on a personal and professional level. I know better than anyone how much effort it takes for you to invest your time participating in CIDA’s programs to increase the capacity of your family and our community. I am so grateful for you. I have so much respect for you.
It’s a time of transition for many families, so we have prepared several programs with this in mind. This month CIDA is offering a College Readiness Bootcamp, a Self-Determination Academy, and Korean Language Liaison Training Program. Please share these events with anyone who might be interested, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
As we kick off the summer, I would like to congratulate everyone who is moving forward to a new school or community! The month of June is named after Juno, which comes from the Latin root for “young.” We hope that your calendar is full of exciting events that bring you much to celebrate this June!
Haewa Trakansook, Intake Specialist
News and Resources
Proposal would make it easier for NY students to pass Regents exams
The New York State Board of Regents approved for Emergency Action at its May meeting a temporary expansion of the existing process to appeal to graduates with a lower score on a Regents Examination. NYSED informed that students who have passed a course of study leading to a Regents examination and who have scored a 50-64 during the June 2022, August 2022, January 2023, June 2023, or August 2023 examination administration periods may file a special appeal to apply such scores as passing scores toward a diploma.
Any student who meets the following eligibility conditions may utilize the special appeal to earn a diploma with a lower score on a Regents Exam. These conditions are specific to the special appeal:
- The student must have taken the Regents exam during the June 2022, August 2022, January 2023, June 2023, or August 2023 test administration periods.
- The student must have a score of 50-64 on the Regents Examination that is the subject of the appeal and was taken during one of the above administrations.
- The student has attained a course average in the course that meets or exceeds the required passing grade by the school and is recorded on the student’s official transcript with grades achieved by the student in each quarter of the school year.
Self-Determination Academy is BACK!
CIDA is hosting our annual youth capacity building program, Self-Determination Academy from June 28- 29 (9:30 am to 11:00 am). This 2-day program will be open for high school students and young adults (under the age of 26) with disabilities. Participants will learn about basic concepts of self-determination, self assessment, setting life or career goals and how to participate in transition or service plan meetings. Register HERE.
FREE College Readiness Bootcamp (Online)
CIDA College Readiness Bootcamp is a three-day workshop series that is designed to help high school students get ready for college life. The workshops will cover a variety of topics including health, disability accommodation, wellness, financial and time management, and tips for academic success. This program is virtual and open to the public. Register Today! Seats are limited.
Founding Class of Korean Language Parent Liaison Graduates on June 6.
Congratulations to the founding class of Korean Language Parent Liaison training program hosted by CIDA in collaboration with NYC Department of Education. The liaisons received 10 intensive training sessions on how to access NYC DOE resources and disseminate information to Korean parents with limited English proficiency.
As we recover from the COVID-19 epidemic, all events are now online. Please check our event calendar for event details and registration information.
- Korean Language Parent Liaison Training (Korean) – June 1 to June 6 at 9:00 am to 11 am: Selected Participants Only
- Early Intervention (EIP) to CPSE Transition (Korean) – June 16, Thursday at 10:00 am: Zoom Register here.
- June Support Group for Parents of persons with disabilities (age 16 and above) (Korean) – June 21 Tuesday at 7:30 PM Register here.
- June Support Group for Infant and School Age (Korean) – June 23 Thursday at 7:30 PM Register here.
- Self Determination Academy (English)- June 28-29, 9:30 am to 11:00am: Zoom. Register here.