2022 April News
Let Your Activism Spring!
Message from Executive Director
Members, Friends, and Collaborators of CIDA,
Spring is finally here! Here at CIDA we feel extra grateful this season. Many pandemic restrictions have been lifted, and New York City Schools also lifted the mask mandate. We are so glad to show our smiles to the families who are walking into our office, and we are so happy to see the smiles on your faces.
CIDA is fully open in-person, and more and more events are being hosted in-person. CoSpire, a co-op established by young adults of all abilities, also successfully completed its first project – a pop-up thrift shop in our office. Our members were overwhelmed by the huge amount of support they received from the community. This experience planted confidence, a sense of community, and greater aspirations in the minds of the CoSpire team. Recognizing that there is an urgent need on the border of Ukraine and Poland, our members decided to donate a portion of the proceeds to help Ukrainian refugees. Their decision inspired us all and reminded us that we live in one big community.
As we finally get to freely embrace one another, please take a moment to look around and see if anyone needs a hand, hug, or help. April begins with World Autism Awareness Day (April 2), and we hope that you kick off the season by letting your activism spring.
Young Seh Bae, Executive Director
- Turning 5 (Kindergarten Admissions Process for the students with IEP) (2/4/2022) This workshop covered the process for applying to DOE public schools, options for the Kindergarten students with IEP, important dates, and parents’ rights. Click the link below to watch the video recording of this workshop and see the resources. Turning 5 recording, Resources
- Functional Behavioral Assessment & Behavioral Intervention Plan (2/24/2022) After completing the Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA), the Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) will be developed to improve the targeted behaviors based on the outcome of the FBA. This workshop was provided to help the parents to understand what could be done if their children with disabilities engage in challenging behaviors. Click the link below to watch the video recording of this workshop and see the resources. FBA & BIP recording, Resources
- Annual IEP Meeting Prep (Intermediate Level) (3/10/2022) An annual IEP meeting must be held at least once a year after the IEP is developed. This workshop covered what to prepare, consider, and discuss in the annual IEP meeting. Click the link below to watch the video recording of this workshop and see the resources. Annual IEP Meeting Prep Recording, Resources
- Manifestation determination review (MDR) MDR is a process to review if the behavior subject to the disciplinary action is related to or resulting from the student’s disability. Click the link below to watch the video recording of this workshop and see the resources. MDR Recording, Resources
What’s Up at CIDA
CoSpire Thriftshop was a SUCCESS!
Thanks to those who donated goods for CoSpire members to tag and sell AND to those who came to the shop to support the co-op members, CoSpire’s first project, Thrift and Lift Up Pop-up Shop, was a huge success. After the event, all members said that they would like to host another thrift shop because they really enjoyed the business experience, interacting with customers, and helping one another. Please check out the TKC’s coverage on CoSpire Thrift Shop.
CIDA Hosts a Session on Culturally Responsive Youth Engagement at 2022 NE-PACT Regional Conference in Puerto Rico.
For the first time since the pandemic, Navigating Excellence Parent Center Assistance & Collaboration Team (NE-PACT, formerly known as The Northeast Parent Center Assistance and Collaboration Team) is hosting a regional conference in Puerto Rico in April. 2022 NE-PACT conference will focus on equity and culturally responsive family engagement with a special focus on early childhood and working with youth and young adults/transition to adult life. CIDA will attend as presenters and host a session on the topic of culturally responsive youth engagement on April 5th.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 epidemic, all events are now online. Please check our event calendar for event details and registration information.
- April Support Group for Adult Age – April 14 Thursday at (10:30 am to 12:00 pm) CIDA Office. Register here
- April Support Group for Infant and School Age – April 28 Thursday (10:30 am to 12:00 pm) at CIDA Office. Register here
Comments are closed.